Forum AMT Strona Główna
POMOC Rejestracja SzukajFAQ Zaloguj
Official MLB Face Masks Online Store - Cincinnati Reds

Odpowiedz do tematu    Forum AMT Strona Główna » Offtopic Zobacz poprzedni temat
Zobacz następny temat
Official MLB Face Masks Online Store - Cincinnati Reds
Autor Wiadomość
OBMAL

Post Official MLB Face Masks Online Store - Cincinnati Reds Odpowiedz z cytatem
Well, in Orlando a couple of years ago, I found myself in line to get food behind Bill James. I'm not unlike many baseball writers and wanna-be analysts -- James has had and continues to have a profound impact on the way I think about the game. We also happen to have both been raised in the rural Midwest. I was introduced to him once years ago at a SABR event in Kansas City, but it was awkward and fleeting, so I knew he didn't recognize me. I followed him through the food line, which had to take at least 10 minutes. I encountered him again waiting for the elevator, then rode up the elevator with him for a few floors, just the two of us. I may have nodded at him at some point, but no words were exchanged.

MLB Umpire Injured by Foul Ball Awarded $775K in Suit Against Sporting Goods Company
A District of Columbia Superior Court jury has ordered the Wilson Sporting Goods Co. to pay $775,000 to a Major League Baseball umpire injured by a foul ball that knocked off his Wilson-made face mask.

Ed Hickox, who has since resumed his duties as an MLB umpire, suffered a concussion and several broken bones after a foul ball struck him in the jaw while he was umpiring a Washington Nationals’ game at RFK Stadium on May 14, 2005. The protective face mask Hickox was wearing at the time – manufactured by Wilson and given to Hickox for free by a Wilson representative – flipped off of his head upon impact.

Hickox sued Wilson, claiming the company was responsible not only because the mask failed to protect his face as advertised, but also because the company failed to tell Hickox that the company had not tested the mask with the same rigor they used to test hockey face masks.

“An ordinary customer would expect the umpire’s mask, built to protect the umpire’s face from stray baseballs, not to harm Plaintiff when a baseball strikes the mask,” Hickox wrote in his complaint.

Hickox was represented by Patrick Regan and Paul Cornoni of Washington’s Regan Zambri & Long. Regan, in a telephone interview today, said he was not surprised the jury ruled on Friday in Hickox’s favor, since Wilson maintained that using field testing – that is, seeing how the mask held up while it was worn by umpires and catchers – was sufficient testing.

“They were using the umpires and catchers as human guinea pigs,” Regan said.

Timothy Fizer of Krause, Fizer, Crogan & Lopez in Owings Mills, Md., represented the company. He said an appeal is likely.

The verdict was "obviously disappointing," Fizer said in a phone interview today. "Our position was that the mask was not defective."

Regan said he did not know how many of the face masks in question were given for free to MLB umpires and catchers or sold to the public. He did say that Wilson did do more testing on the mask following the 2005 incident, but did not reveal the results of the test or what, if any, changes were made to the mask’s design.Cincinnati Reds Face Masks

When they start spending money on veterans again, they can get veterans who don't end up playing well. But while any collection of transactions will have hits and misses, the Phillies have generally added good major leaguers who played well for them: Bryce Harper has been one of the 25 best hitters in baseball as a Phillie, Zack Wheeler just got down-ballot Cy Young votes in his first year there, Realmuto was the best catcher in baseball for the past two seasons, Didi Gregorius had the bounce-back season the Phillies were betting on. Segura, Arrieta, and Andrew McCutchen have all been average major leaguers as Phillies, as was Carlos Santana for a season. That's about what those players were acquired to be. And when the Phillies were competitive at the trade deadline in 2019, the three cheap rentals Klentak acquired to improve the offense -- Corey Dickerson, Jay Bruce and Brad Miller -- all improved the offense, finishing with the club's three highest slugging percentages that year.

That's obviously a bunch of duds. Collectively, they've thrown about 500 innings and batted about 5,000 times in the majors, and they've produced 0.2 WAR -- and not all of those 0.2 WAR for the Phillies, even. But nobody thought it was a good system, and "a bunch of duds" wasn't much worse than was expected. That's why you rebuild: to surround a bunch of duds with a rich farm system.

Gonzalez: When the Cubs signed Jon Lester in 2015, largely because of what it meant -- that the "Lovable Losers" were suddenly a force. The Cubs were a last-place team in 2014, but Joe Maddon had arrived, Kris Bryant was on his way and Jake Arrieta had emerged. There was a sense heading into those meetings that the Cubs might do something significant. Then they signed Lester to a whopping six-year, $155 million contract -- topping the Boston Red Sox, San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers for his services -- and proved they were serious. Word spread through downtown San Diego late on a Tuesday night. I was returning from dinner in the Gaslamp Quarter. And walking directly in front of me was Maddon, who was on his way to see Theo Epstein. He was, as you might expect, beaming.Pittsburgh Pirates Face Masks

But one thing never changes: the number of rumors you hear, some of them ridiculous. A few years ago at the winter meetings, my duty one day was to walk through the lobby and report back with the most outrageous rumor I heard. One team executive, not a GM, much lower on the chain, cupped his mouth like a pitcher talking to his catcher in a mound meeting, then warned me about an available free agent.San Diego Padres Face Masks

Rogers: The speaker of the quote is easy; picking just one from Scott Boras is another story. There are many, but how about this one, regarding the Yankees being slow to make moves one offseason: "When the nurse comes into your room with a thermometer, the issue isn't the temperature of the patient that day. It's their health when they're ready to leave the hospital. And they're not ready to leave the hospital."
Pią Gru 11, 2020 04:12 Ogląda profil użytkownika Wyślij prywatną wiadomość
Reklama

Pią Gru 11, 2020 04:12
Odpowiedz do tematu    Forum AMT Strona Główna » Offtopic Wszystkie czasy w strefie CET (Europa)
Strona 1 z 1
Skocz do: